Motivation is defined as the driving force that propels you towards your goals.
In simple terms motivation is your desire to do things and to move towards a rewarding pleasurable situation and or to move away from and avoid a negative painful situation.
Motivation is not however all about moving towards the carrot and away from the stick, motivation is much more complex and what motivates one person may not motivate another.
Successful people are usually highly motivated, and often this motivation comes from a deep intrinsic desire inside themselves to succeed.
Motivation is generally accepted as one of the essential requirements for developing leadership, along with self awareness and self regulation.
Motivation is needed to take action, to take that first step, to continue moving in the right direction and to pull you out of a slump.
There are 3 steps to motivation.
1. Create a positive culture and environment.
- Develop self belief and a positive attitude.
- Be Optimistic.
- See Problems as challenges (and work for the challenge not just the result).
- Surround yourself with a team of positive people.
2. Create an action culture.
- Focus your efforts towards clear goals.
- Be driven by your goals.
- Set a deadline, schedule actions and project plan.
- Take action.
- Concentrate on the 20% of effort that gives you 80% of the results.
- Track your progress with a systematic approach.
- Value consistent small steps in the direction of your goals.
3. Stay motivated.
- Enjoy your journey and learning new skills.
- Handle failure in a positive way.
- Get rid of your limiting beliefs and your fear of failure.
- Be dynamic and change your direction if you have to.
- Learn how to Pass, Pivot or Proceed with your plans.